Patchwatch

More dross.  Wrong place, right time.  The dull, dreary conditions at this time of year are perfect for wayward migrants, unable to navigate due to mist, dodging showers, tired, needing a place to rest.  Of course they're not going to route their way through Walthamstow Marshes and definitely not at lunchtime which is when I decided to drop in myself.  Wayward.... definitely!  Yesterday, the paddocks held four Wheatear, not a bad count.  Today the paddocks held nothing, well nothing of real note besides a few Stock Dove, Linnet, and Pied Wagtail.

I could have turned round and returned home.  My expectations are far too high.  I decided to continue a walk round the Marshes.  I just can't help myself.  The draw of watching a local patch, the minds' utterances of that magic prize bird, a patch first, I daren't miss it, I've waited all year for the end of April.

A few Common Whitethroat were scratching away, some displaying, a delightful bird and up to six individuals counted today.  Two Lesser Whitethroat performed their diagnostic rattle, and five Sedge Warbler were heard at various locations.  Two Common Tern were seen flying over West Warwick and Sand Martin continued their passage north with around fifteen birds seen and accompanied by two Swallow.  Two Reed Bunting were on territory and two Reed Warbler sang close to the boardwalk.

A single Kestrel was the only raptor of note, and four Black Headed Gull flew through.

Until next time.

Comments