Franklin's Gull & Red-Footed Falcon

Another dirty chase for a rare bird, and this was my third attempt for Franklin's Gull.  This time the bird did the honorable thing and showed reasonably well after an hour long wait in a biting wind. I

It was eventually seen flying sorties in the company of Common Tern.  It's behaviour was very similar to Little Gull, a graceful undulating flight that made it a little easier to pick out.  The grey wings and mantle with white leading edges were obvious against the strong light as it flew out toward the pumping station.

Unfortunately it never did settle, but there were four Black Tern there.

Before heading away, a Nightingale was bursting into song intermittently.  It's a sound that you can never tire of.


I then headed over to Fingringhoe Wick EWT reserve.  This was my first visit here and I was really impressed with it.  Around six Nightingale were heard including one briefly seen.




There were 20 Bar-Tailed Godwit along the channel, and a Garden Warbler sang from the scrub.


A Red-Footed Falcon was then reported from Vange Marsh RSPB so I hot-footed it down there to see this amazing bird and the fourth I have seen in the UK.



On-site, a few Bearded Tit were pinging away, and Water Rail squealed from the reedbed.


Comments